Off Roading Forums banner

Alternative to BBs

768 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GeeAea 
#1 ·
I wanted to attach this to the original BB balancing thread ..but alas our search feature is temporarily out of commision.

Here's an outfit that uses some type of pelleted synthetic compound. Oddly enough, in my new job (in plastic extrusion), I encounter just about every synthetic pelletized compound there is ..from PVC to FEP (teflon). Most of these develop a decent amount of static charge and tend to cling to just about any appropriate material. Given the potential for static build up inside a spinning tire ... .I wonder if these pellets would kinda stay where they gravitated to in the process. That is, would the "falling" that BBs experience not occur?

BTW- many of our compounds cost anywhere from $10 - $50 a pound ... so $9 for 3 or 4 ounces is not out of line. I didn't see anyone mention this in the original thread - it's not a sweetener

A guy on the 4 banger united "list" confirmed this stuff as a viable product. He couldn't balance his bias plys ....the vendor would not exchange them and said that they would get them to balance ...they allegedly used this stuff to do it.

See less See more
#2 ·
hey GeeAea,
Small world. I work for a tool and die shop that makes molds for the plastics industry.

As far as cost on the plastic tire balancer (Equal). I got a price quote from 4 wheel parts. And they quoted me $8/oz. That is $24 for 1-"33"!!!!!!
I dunno how much powder to balance a 39.5" Swamper but I think I will try the BBs or golf balls first! Wade

#3 ·
Uh... Where you guys been? Equal has been around and hashed out many times. The issue most have is that it gets wet and clumps. Creates a helluva mess from what I hear.

#4 ·
Like I said
the search function was NFG
- ...and I didn't recall the mention of Equal in the BB balancing thread

We dry our compounds before proucing our products. Oddly enough the compounds pour freely before the drying process (just an expensive and more advance version of a closed food and herb drier). Not all compounds "clump" when dried ...and I can't imagine that they could stay that way too long spinning around inside a tire ............but I guess in some type of freezing environment that it could take a while to turn them back into pellets.

#5 ·
Small world indeed
We just recently bought the CNC machines to produce our own tooling. The outfit also does injection molding to produce the various medical devices .... hence they spent a fortune in tooling.

I guess if you need more than the 4 oz. ....you're going to be spending at least $18 a tire ..but $8/oz!!!! .........that's a little out there. BBs do seem to be the practical alternative in your case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.