Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - 92 Wrangler - Decent Buy?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 10:55 PM
saberworks

92 Wrangler - Decent Buy?

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a '92 Wrangler. It has a 4.0L I-6 with fuel injection and AC. It's a 5 speed manual transmission. I was reading in a magazing called JP and they suggested that the 92 was a good year due to transmission, transfer case, and axles. I would like to verify that this is a decent Jeep. It has 128,000 miles on it. I used to own an 87 with the 258, and it had enough power for me. I'm not into the whole v-8 thing at this point, so I will stay with the stock motor. I'm wondering if the transmission, transfer case, and axles are okay. I don't do hardcore rock crawling, but I am going to put air lockers front and rear (I lost my last Jeep, and if I'd have had lockers, I wouldn't have [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ).

They're asking very steep price ($8k). My dad bought a Ford Explorer from these guys and talked them down a grand, so I'm looking at between 6500 & 7000. I don't mind spending a little too much to buy local, and I've been looking near-on 6 months for a 92 (because of the article) with these features (I absolutely *must* have a manual transmission! And no 4cyl crud!). I may even be able to talk him down lower as the tires on it look in very good shape, and I don't need them (got the tires off my old one). So anyway, feedback would be great!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome