Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - crate motors -who's gone that route? i have to..
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 05:51 PM
TNJeeper

Re: crate motors -who\'s gone that route? i have to..

I got my Goodwrench 350 from Scoggins-Dickey in TX by mail-order. They had the best prices at the time (approx $1100), even when considering shipping charges. Bought it about 3-4 yrs ago, and have been very happy with the engine and Scoggin-Dickey. It is the 1969-85 truck replacement engine (LM1) part number 10067353. Factory rated at 249 hp and 304 ft lb of torque. This engine in a CJ provides the perfect amount of power. Much more would be a bit scary, in my opinion, especially with a 'glass body like mine.

Don't count on a crate engine automatically coming with a great warranty. When I bought mine, they asked me what type of vehicle it was going in, and when I told them a jeep, the salesman told me that the warranty would be void, since it was not a factory installed setup. He did say that if I had any problems, to let him know and he would make things right. Never had to call him back for any reason though.

Replacing the 258 in my CJ was alot of work. I did do a frame off/body/transmission swap and pretty much re-worked or replaced everything on the jeep. Still not completely done, as I'm battling an overheating problem right now, and haven't driven the CJ in a couple of days. But it's been a great experience (4 plus years) and alot of fun!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Greg

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome