Off Roading Forums banner

Clutch installation

830 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Olin18 
G
#1 ·
Iam having my 4 speed trans rebuilt(85 CJ7) 258 6 cyl. Iam thinking of replacing the clutch. When the jeep was in neutral the throw out bearing made a hissing sound. Should I replace the clutch and TO bearing? I have the manual and it seems straight forward. Should I buy a new flywheel or have this one checked out? Should I replace the pilot bushing? Any help would be appreciated. Ralph P Somers Point NJ

#2 ·
Get a good clutch kit, it should include the throw out bearing and alignment tool. I would also replace the pilot bearing while you are at it. Go to your local auto parts store and get a remanufatured flywheel.

Napa sells a good clutch kit. Centerforce is also a good option.

#3 ·
how long has it been since the clutch last got replaced? if its been like 100k miles.. ya.. ditch it.. and just buy the kit.. comes with throw out bearing.. pilot bushing.. alignment tool... also take your flywheel to a good auto shop.. they can check it to see if its still thick enough to turn it down.. (resurfaced)...
resurfacing it is a good idea since it will make sure its flat.. with no high spots in it.. (like turning your brake rotors and drums)
i would do it.. since you have it out.. but it does depend on how old it is.. it sounds like its been awhile

#4 ·
Unless the linkage is improperly adjusted, a throwout bearing isn't turning until there is some pressure on the clutch pedal, so the hissing sound is probably coming from something else.

And personally, I wouldn't replace the clutch unless there is something wrong with it. I would take it apart and examine it, but if it was OK, I'd put it back together. Why replace it if there's nothing wrong with it?

#5 ·
IMHO, you already did the hard part of replacing the clutch...getting to it. I would replace the clutch if it looks even remotely questionable. If it looks like it still has more than half of it's life left, just put it back in. I just completed a engine swap, and my clutch still looked almost like new, so I just put it back in.

#6 ·
I would change the clutch, that way you know it is brand new, and you know it wont give you any trouble for a while. It would be a shame to have the whole thing back together, then have to take it all apart agian to get a the clutch again. Like it was said above. You already did the hard part... Got to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.