Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Project 03CJ-8 gets underway
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 06:03 AM
Dean

Project 03CJ-8 gets underway

My new Aqualu/JpO-R CJ-8 tub showed up last night, and it is a beefy looking sumbitch. The aluminum looks to be ~.156" thick and the body is put together very well. I'll get some pics of it posted later today. As I expected, the exterior is going to need some sanding and polishing which I'll tackle as soon as I have some idea of what I'm doing. I've never done any type of body work so I've got some questions. I read Jp Off-Road's FAQ page and all it says is: "sand using a high speed sander (over 3000 RPM). Start with a 180 grit, then proceed with 220 grit, 320 grit, and finish with a 600 or 800 grit. Then use a polishing rouge (white or green) and then wax. You will need to re-wax about once a month to keep the aluminum protected from the elements."
What type of high speed sander do I need for this job - orbital, rotary, or something else? What type of buffer do I need, and where can I get the rouge? I still don't have an air compressor so whatever I need will have to be electric.
Also, are there any good websites or books where I can get a basic idea of how to this type of body work?

Dean

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome