Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Fire extinguishers
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
JoeyCJ55

Fire extinguishers

I figured with all the info I take here, I might as well share a bit of info.
I'm majoring in fire protection and safety technology [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and I've learned a bit over this last semester.

What you want to get in the way of a fire extinguisher is ABC.
If you have an extinguisher rated simply for A, you cannot extinguish or control liquid fires which are probably going to be the most common jeep fire problems.If you have an electrically charged fire, you need an extinguisher with a Class C rating as you wouldn't want electrocute yourself [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Also, you really only need one fire extinguisher.If you are expecting a flammable liquid fire, two units of Class B cannot replace a larger extinguisher.The reason behind this is because if you do not fully extinguish the flame with the first extinguisher, it is likely to flashback and you will be back at sqaure one.

Another suggestion..If you ever partially expell an extinguisher, get it refilled or replaced.Even though you didn't expel all of the air, it may not work next time.
Also, when attacking a fire, use the PASS method.
First pull the pin, aim the nozzle, squeeze to test the extinguisher, then approach the flame and sweep(go to side to side with the extinguisher)

This is just some stuff I've learned, take it for what its worth.Its kinda unorganized [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome