Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Removing brake calipers
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
lookinfurfun

Removing brake calipers

I'm pulling the brake calipers off and I was looking at Steve and Zach's sites for pictures and I have one question. Steve said to </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
[Drive the catches into the slides one at a time

[/ QUOTE ]This seems to be from the outside the rotor. Zach says to </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
by removing the bolt, then punching out the spacer.

[/ QUOTE ] Which to me seemed from behind the rotor. I'm sure either way works but for some reason I'm still not getting it. It does seem that you can just use a punch from behind. Is there a pin inside those slide that help them expand or something? Do I punch out the pins and then the slide? Or is it the same. I just don't want to star hammering on something and then it becomes one more thing to fix :shocked

Well, this is my first 4x4 and the first time I've had to take all of this apart. This means I get to go buy some new tools [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Hopefully somebody can help by the time I get back. Thanks.

Steve and Burned, thanks for the pics that you both have regarding brake, spindle and hub removal.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome