Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - stubborn rotor on cj
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: stubborn rotor on cj

It's been my unfortunate experience with this circumstance that the reason the rotor/bearings will not come off the spindle is because it has seized to the spindle.
this can happen if you drive for extended periods with poor or no grease in the wheel bearings.
Yes the only way to get the spindle off is to hit it, hit from the backside on the top, then the bottom until it comes off.
Chance are (If my suspicions are correct) your inner bearing and seal will remain on the spindle while everything else comes off (rotor, outer wheel bearing).
Now before you ask how to get a seized bearing off the spindle know this; if you are successful it won't matter, the heat created by all that friction expands the spindle making it useless.
You will be able to remove the bolts that hold the spindle to the outer knuckle and (hopefully if the spindle isn't totally warped) remove the spindle.
I would suggest replacing the whole setup.
Spindle, Hubm rotor, bearings and inner seal.
I tried in vain to re-use worn parts (one of each in all combinations) only to find out that they just wear out quickly leaving you working on it (outer knuckles, spindle, etc... All the time.
Yes its expensive but fixing it all IMHO is the only way to do it.

Good luck I hope I am wrong.

Big_MARK

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome