Off Roading Forums banner

Aod flush/drain refill

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MY2ND78 
#1 ·
I have to do a trans service for school so I'm doing my truck(maybe). Even if i don't wind up doing mine I'll still need to do it soon(been saying that for a year now). If i pull the plug from the converter and drain that too will i do any damage on start up to the front pump or converter beng as how the only fliud will be in the valve body at that point. I want to get as much old fluid out as possible and when I had the motor out one of the (to) many times i saw the drain plug on the converter. I was thinking of draining it all out an putting the new filter, gasket and all that stuff then starting it for like 5 seconds, shut it off, add fluid, start, shut it off, add fluid untill it's full. I guess i could always just take the coil off and crank it too. I've never done a trans flush without the machine and want to talk to the experts first.

#7 ·
I'm sure i have at least a little in there as i didn't extend my vent lines. I don't think it's ever been changed since the rebuild about 65k ago and i drive it pretty hard. It's like changind half your oil and spinning a new filter on. All you do is waste the fliud and filter. If it were a little easier to do i would just do it a few times.

#8 ·
I do them all the time. Just like Havack said, drain it all, add 7 quarts, start it and top it off with it running. It won't do any damage. Muddy is also correct about cycling it back and forth from reverse to drive a few times after you add a few quarts. It should take around 11 quarts. My C6 takes 11 and the E4OD takes 13.

#10 ·
Well i did the trans today. The trans shifts SOOO much better. Had no problems.

Do remanufactured trans have that little white plug thing in them too? I was told that the trans in my truck was replaced with a Ford Reman trans and when i dropped the pan i found the plug in there. I know when a trans is new it has that plug jammed in the fill tube but i'm not sure about remans. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.