Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Sammy's vs Trackers
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:02 AM
Happy_Trails

Re: Sammy\'s vs Trackers

Well I'am a sidekick owner also. I just bought it last srping and starting to find out about the mods you need for off roading. I posted not long ago about IFS-vs-straight axle.I think you'll find most are going for the straight axle because it is stronger with less chance of breakage plus I think you may have more flex. I have heard that if you have the IFS you can plan on replacing axles and cv's but there are mods you can do to decrease the breakage such as stronger axles and houseings.I use to own a 87 sammi many moons ago and took it just about anywhere with only 235's and heavier shocks. I plan on useing mine as mostly a daily driver and a trail rig. I'don't plan on beating the hell out of it but would like it to be able to make it thru mud and over rocks without putting tons of money into it. There are always ways around obsticles without having to go over them. I just took mine off road for the first time. I was surprised at what it can do. You just have to get use to hearing that frame bang off the rocks a few times and know your limits.I'm happy to just go around something and watch others play.Well enough about me, as someone already said there is alot more out there for sammi's. I think the sidekick/tracker is kind of in a development stage. The calmini susp. lifts are good I guess if you know the limits.RRO has a 2.5 susp. lift that is suppose to be better and is coming out with a 6 inch kit in the winter from what I hear.If your going hardcore the straight axle is the way to go.As for me, I'm doing a 3 inch body lift for now and bigger tires.Then I'll wait and see what new comes out or what others have done to their sidekicks and how it works.I was going to do the 3 inch calmini susp. on mine till I got feedback on broken axles and cv's.I'll save my money for now till I do more research.It would be nice if someday someone comes out with a straight axle in kit form for the sidekicks so you don't have to go out and salvage axles and springs from a junk yard.Well as you can see there are many opinions and options you will get on this subject.From what I see the sammi will be around for ages,there seems to be tons of parts out there for them.The sammi owners are now salvaging parts from sidekicks for their vehicles.Funny how sidekick owners want to get rid of the axles and sammi owners want them.(LOL)Well I guess I have gone on way too long and probably just confused you more. Good luck with your sidekick. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] <font color="black"> </font color>

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome