Off Roading Forums banner

TJ Tailgate rattling too much. Solutions?

7K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  LEVE 
G
#1 ·
I have a 31" tire on the spare-tire mount on my rear tailgate.

I hear a great deal of rattling coming from my tailgate when I go over bumps.

Any cheap solutions out there (while keeping my tire on)? I didn't want to buy a tire carrier...

This is on my '98 Sahara TJ, w/ 31" tires, 2" lift.

Thanks,

Sam88Jeep

#2 ·
I have the same problem on my 91 YJ with a 30" Tire. I've found that adjusting the position of the latch (which attaches to the body) helps to tighten it up a little. It still rattles, though. I'm looking for a better idea, too.

G
#3 ·
You might try checking out the AllData website on technical service bulletins. I was looking under the 98' the other day and remember seeing something about a noisy tailgate. It won't give you the details, however I have gone into the dealer before and got them to print off the TSB for me, and hey, since it is a TSB, you should be able to get them to fix it for free, although you might want to take off the over-sized spare before bringing it in.

G
#5 ·
No luck... the TSBs aren't an extension of warrenty. Basically they're just known problems that are documented so requested repairs can be done easier.

I'm SO far out of warrenty, I don't think I got a chance of them doing me a favor.

I'm picking up from them the details of the TSB... hopefully I can solve it myself.

Sam88Jeep

G
#6 ·
Rattling is two pieces of metal hitting each other. Determine where this is occuring, go to Home Depot and get some stick-on velcro squares, and stick the soft side where the rattle is.

I've done this for about 6 or 7 "rattle items" on my Jeeps.

G
#8 ·
I bought a new latch and striker (using part numbers from the TSB). My tailgate now seals with a solid "THUNK".

I installed it this morning, and proceeded to hop over a few speed bumps. No more rattle! Its a huge difference...

The parts cost me about $55.

Thanks to all for your help.

-Sam88Jeep

FYI, I'm selling a ICM (for 4.2L Jeeps), and a Jacob's Ultra Team ignition coil on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871465544&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871466262&rd=1

#9 ·
1. Remove the spare carrier off the tailgate.
2. Install a bumper mounted carrier.
3. If you don't, you're just buyin' time,
4. The tailgate will sag out of position again.
5. Only this time, worse.
6. You'll be looking for antother "Make do" type of fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.