Off Roading Forums banner

Problem and need the Pro's

456 views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  Roy 
G
#1 ·
Problem and need the Pro\'s

Ok so last night i am driving around my 79 CJ7 and it runs out of gas. No big deal. So i get a friend to stop for me adn get me some. Put gas in it stopped at the gas station put more in it, then it started to really run bad. Know i know that there is air in the lines put it sounded like it was almost knocking. I have a brand new 600 holleyBBl carb on there so i know it is not that. Please give me some assistance.
Thanks
Matt

I enjoy working on friends four wheel drives but especially my own.

G
#2 ·
Re: Problem and need the Pro\'s

I'd check for water in the gas. Take the fuel line off the carb, disconnect the coil wire from the distributor and ground it away from the carb, place it in a plastic soda bottle (cleaned and dried of course), crank the engine over and see if any water is present in the fuel (it sinks is gas) and also how much volume you get. It should fill about a cups' worth in 15 seconds of cranking. If there is water, you probably will have to drop the gas tank and drain the carb to clean it out. If the volume is low, check the fuel filter for restiction, a leaking, kinked or loose fuel hose to the pump from the frame rail or from the tank to the frame rail and lastly replace the fuel pump. I hope this helps, good luck.

G
#3 ·

It's also possible that you sucked some "gunk" out of your tank and partially clogged the fuel filter. I have no idea why this happens more often when you run a vehicle out of fuel, but it has been my experience that it does.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

#4 ·

I'm with the others on this. You probably got some bad gas or some sludge from the bottom of your tank got into your system. You can try drawing gas from a gas can instead of from your fuel tank. Put the hose that goes to your fuel pump in it and see if it runs OK. You'll have to eliminate one thing at a time till you find out what's wrong. Sometimes putting a dose of Dri-Gas in your tank absorbs water and will help out.....

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G
#5 ·

Does sound as though you may have picked up crud off the bottom of the tank. Before you continue pulling this crud closer to the carbuerator you may want to remove the hose at the inlet side of the fuel pump and blow air backwards toward (into) the gas tank. This would send the crud back to the bottom of the tank where it belongs. IF YOU TRY THIS, REMOVE THE GAS CAP FIRST. If you don't, the air pressure will build up and force gasoline out the hose and all over everything - I've had that experience. After I had this problem, I added a second filter by cutting the steel fuel line where it passes over the rear axle and putting the second filter there. I used a WIX brand, clear plastic fuel filter. That way you can see crud as it collects in the filter and change it as necessary. Suppose you could add the second filter just before the fuel pump making it much easier to get at, but I also installed an electric fuel pump in conjunction with the additional filter.

G
#6 ·

Probably dirt or rust from the empty tank. Spray some carb cleaner down the throat and jets and replace the in-line filters. If you don't already have one, put one between the tank and fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.