Off Roading Forums banner

1310 or 1350 U-Joints in my rear Driveshaft

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  truckjohn 
#1 ·
Ok, I have a 1/2 Ton CV Driveshaft right now with 1310 u-joints throughout..

I`m upgrading to a 14bolt in the rear and am wondering if I should upgrade to a 1 Ton Shaft with 1350 U-Joints..

I`m running the stock transfer case (np231) if I upgrade to 1350 I will have to get the AA or JB SYE Kit since I just have the Currie one which reuses the stock shaft..

I`ll be running 38.5" TSL SX tires..

What's everyones opinions? Will I be spitting out U-Joints all day with 1310 ???

#5 ·
What kind of power are you going to be putting through this shaft? 38's are huge tires, and they are going to put a lot of stress on every part of your drive line. If you don't want to worry about the drive shaft then change them out. But with the smaller joints you have a fuse as they say. Chances are that if somthing breaks it is going to be an inexpencive joint and not something more costly. If I were you I would get a few extra joints and bring them with you the first couple times out. If you use them all up in a month, then go and spend the money for a new shaft and the AA. But if they hold, then save your money.

#7 ·
I would say that i'd rather be eating up 1310 joints and even drive shafts rather than killing something in your t-case. That's my oppinon and i've never really seen some one blow up their t-case but then i don't usually wheel with the "big boys".

BarrelRoll

#8 ·
Stick with the 1310's. This is for 2 reasons.

1) You want a link that will fail before that aluminum T-case you have, or the chain within it.

2) The 1310's have more usable angularity than the 1350's. While the 1350's have more beef to them, they typically cannot be run at as much of an angle due to the yoke size. If you are curious about mating the 1350 of the 14B to the 1310 of the driveshaft, Spicer makes a 1310/1350 conversion joint. I am running one on the back of the Scrambler from the NP205 to the Grand Waggie driveshaft. They cost about $23.

#11 ·
Think about it this way......

u-joint $6-20.00 depending on what kind you get. 1/2 hour to replace

Driveshaft yoke $50.00 1/2 hour to replace

pinion yoke $40.00. 1/2 hour to replace.

Transfer case shaft $150.00 plus 3-5 hours to replace if no other damage and you can do it on the trail.

Axle shaft: $125.00 plus 3 hours

Ring and pinion $125 plus $200-400 installation

Tranny shaft or gear: $300.00 plus rebuild costs

You do the math. Think about things that are cheap and easy to repair vs. things that are very expensive and hard to repair.

Best regards

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.