Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - CJ Project almost finished....yeah right
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ Project almost finished....yeah right

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's been a long hard road rebuilding this thing but I'm slowly getting near the end. The painting process alone has been long. I started prepping the Jeep in February and we were ready to paint by May. I'm not a painter either (not good enough to shot a nice topcoat anyway) so I had one of my painter's from the plant shoot it for me. Well, he spent over four months painting, rushing, messing things up, repainting. That's actually a whole saga in itself.
The color is lemon yellow (a little brighter than the corvette yellow - although, corvette yellow is what I was originally shooting for). The color turned out real well and I couldn't be happier about it. It is pretty blinding on a bright sunny day though! The paint is actually a PPG aircraft paint. I asked my vendor to get me a sample of that yellow and that is what we used.
I like the way the gray top ended up looking too. I was a little worried about it after I ordered it but it ended up looking pretty nice. I was trying to avoid the "bumblebee" effect of yellow and black. Now I just need to finish up some suspension and steering work and address a few more painting issues and then I'm done with all the major stuff (until I decide to swap out the axles, tranny, engine, etc.!)

Chuck

P.S. the key to a really good paint job is about 90% prep and 10% painting. A painter may shoot the best topcoat you've ever seen but if he hasn't done much prep or cleaning, it's all for nothing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome