Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - samurai overheating
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

samurai overheating

Hi,
I need help, my '86 Samurai (called SJ413 here in Germany) with the 1,3l carburetor engine constantly overheats after starting. The temperature keeps going up, way past normal. After I switch the heating from hot to cold and back again (or vice versa) the temperature drops slowly to normal and stays there. A problem with the thermostat (is this the right word for the switch, which controls the waterflow from the short to the long cooling circuit)? So I thought and told my shop to replace it. But it still did overheat. Yesterday I read a repair manual which mentioned an ventilation hole in the thermostat, which has to be positioned in a certain way to prevent overheating. Sounds familiar? But the manual didn't explain the right position, they just said: "... remember the position an install it in the same location...".
So I suspect, my dealer installed it in the wrong location and decided to give it a try. I rotated it a little bit and now the hole is at an 90 angle to the connection to the radiator. And what miracle: It doesn't overheat any more! Could it be that simple?
And now the question after this long story: Do you know the right location of this vent hole and if this could be the cause of my troubles?
Thanks!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome