Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Power Steering Pump Noise
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power Steering Pump Noise

Okay...I changed all the belts on my SD-33T diesel yesterday (the alternator one was especially trashed; the power steering one was unhappy too). Previous to that, the power steering pump belt slipped whenever I turned the wheel at all; I was, for all intents and purposes without power steering at times. After changing the belt, everything sounded happy for a day or so. Now, today, the pump's started making noise again. It's a similar noise to the belt slpiiage, but it's lower pitched and more erratic (sometimes when I turn the wheel, it doesn't make a noise; sometimes it starts getting noisy even when the wheel's straight and the truck's moving down the road (which it didn't do prevoiusly)). I'm 99% sure the belt's still tight...could I have gotten it too tight? Is my pump going out? If yes to the first one, what's the belt tensoin supposed to be? Any other ideas? I don't want to replace the pump...can't afford it, so I'm hoping that isn't it. Thanks in advance!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome