Off Roading Forums banner

New Venture Gear questions

2K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Ok, I've been clicking around on NVG's website, looking at their products...have a few questions now.

Is the NV 5600 Tranny, available only on the newer Dodges? If not, where else is it being used? How strong is it, like out-and-out durability, and torque capability? They say 550 ft/lbs, I'll bet more than that.

Same for the NV 271 T-Case, where are those babies nestled?

Also, what are in the new 2001+ Chevy's (2500HD & 3500), as far as the six speed manual tranny (what is it) and what transfer case are in the 2500HDs and 3500s. I know I prolly should've posted most of this in the IFS forum, but I like this one better.

G
#2 ·
AFAIK, the NVG5600 is only used in Dodges. GM and Ford both use a ZF 6 speed (basically the same tranny in both). GM and Ford used the ZF because it is lighter. I firmly believe that the NVG tranny is a much better tranny than the ZF. My brother has had ZFs (5 and 6 speed) in two F350s that he has had, and they both had very premature failure of the synchros. The NVG 271 is used in Ford Super Duty trucks. GM uses the NVG 261 (manual shift) or 263 (pushbutton shift) in the 2500HD and 3500 trucks.

G
#3 ·
Blazer1970, thank you for that info. I'd still like to know who makes the ZF 6-Speed.

It's too bad that GM doesn't use the NVG271, judging by the specs, it's got to be a monster. My dad's work truck is a 2001 (maybe 2000) Ford Super Duty with a 5.4L Triton boat anchor in it, and a 4 speed auto. (he didn't buy it, it's a POS company truck) Is it going to have the NVG271? Or does it only come behind the diesels and V10s?

I was reading an older Summit catalog one time and they have a Richmond RO-6, 6-Speed Overdrive in it. How does that tranny hold up to 4x4 use?

G
#5 ·
You can actually custom order the Richmond with whatever gears you want in it, I think. I'm sure there are some stipulations, but I read an artcle (same Summit catalog I believe) where a guy had one custom geared for going in his drag racing car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.