Off Roading Forums banner

700 RMK lost oil pump?

2K views 4 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have a '97 700 RMK with HOT SEAT heads and clutching, psi pipes, variflow jetting(accs only manual), pyros and boost bottle. I have about 400 miles on the set up and it is jetted perfect. I run it a little on the cold side just so I don't have to worry about losing jug/piston. Much to my disappointment I lost my oil pump! That's correct, I've checked everything. We tested the oil pump by using a high speed drill and we could not get any oil to flow, not even a drop. So we checked the supply line, oil was running out of the line and there were no clogs. So we tore the pump apart, nothing that we could see wrong with it. Stuck it back together ( the oil pump) and tried testing, again we got nothing out of it. We thought that the pump had gone out because I lost a rod bearing. I was watching my pyros all day long and they were perfect. checked the plugs immediately after I heard noise and there was no sign of aluminum what so ever. Pistons would have been great except for one has what looks to be a factory defect crack on the intake skirt! And thats on the mag side, I lost the rod bearing on the PTO side. How ever, the jug on the pto side is losing its nikasil lining. Its starting to flake off at the very top of the jug. This also looks like its some sort of defect. Oh yeah, I've got a TOTAL of 2,000 miles on my sled. So my question is WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!! I've talked to a few dealers and they say they've never heard of an oil pump going bad or nikasil flaking off, but they "thought" that they'd heard of defective pistons. Has anyone else had such good luck. By the way I am fixing it, I do feel that its worth it.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
The '97 had a problem with cracked piston skirts. Most of them letting loose around 2,000 miles. I've found that not a lot of dealers know about this. I don't know why. When I had problems last winter the first thing my dealer told me was to tear both jugs down and inspect the skirts for cracks. Both pistons had cracks. That was one of the first things that the guys at Tri-City Polaris asked when I was there last week buying parts. I told them I had a 97 700 and they asked "have you checked the skirts for cracks?" Also, has your sled had the CDI relocated and new throttle cable. Early on the cable to the oil line was breaking and Polaris sent out a recall to have them all fixed. I had a friend burn his motor down from the faulty oil pump line, Polaris warrantied it. As for flaking nikisil, never heard of it. If you need to get your cylinders renikisiled U.S. chrome in Wisconsin does a great job (check them out on thier web site). Turn around time is pretty slow though, about 2-3 weeks. There is another place in Wisconsin that has a better turn around time (about 10 days), I don't remember the name. Call Lindsey Machine in Salt Lake and ask them, thats where they send thier cylinders. Renikisil job is about $200-250.

G
#3 ·
Thanks for the little tid bit, it makes me feel a little better knowing that I wasn't the only one to have this problem. All the warranty/recall work has been done to my sled. That was the first thing that I checked out when I lost the engine. But unfortunately its past its warranty! Thanks again.

G
#5 ·
Yeah, that was the first thing that we had thought it might be. But nope. It sure wasn't. Had a Polaris shop double check our check and they said the same thing. The pump just quit! I understand that an oil pump can quit, it is a mechanical device that has the potential to fail and mine did. But I still want to know why I'm losing nikasil plating on one jug and I have a cracked piston skirt on the other jug(intake skirt that is). I don't know!!!!!! Just trying to get it fixed. Sending it off, going to have it done right, new top to bottom. Sure is a pisser though. Makes me want to buy new before warranty runs out now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.