Off Roading Forums banner

need help installing back glass in hardtop

669 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  WILL 
G
#1 ·
I had my back glass knocked out in the wind (hard top was not on the jeep)a while ago. I tried to pop it back in but could not, I thought because the seal was degraded. So I ordered a new one from 4wd and tried tonight to install it.
Either I am doing it all wrong or it is the wrong seal. With the old seal I was able to put it on the glass,stuff a heavy string around the outside in the grove and try to work it in. The new seal is so big that it won't stay on the glass. It seems like it is apx 3-4in to long.
Has anyone had any experience w/this

#2 ·
Sounds like the wrong seal but as far as I know there is only the one size unless you got one for a Scrambler half top or you don't have an OEM top. I was going to give you the string technique but you already got that covered. Give them a call.

G
#3 ·
They goofed up the seal the 1st time and sent one for the side glass. So we went into the catalog real slow to make sure we got the right one this time. When it came in it looked perfect.
Would putting it in the freezer overnight help to shrink it or would that just make my freezer stink?

#4 ·
Putting it in the freezer will only make it stiff and hard to work with. Is the one you got an OEM style seal with the locking rubber? Or is it a newer style like a windshield seal. The OEM style needs to be "Unlocked" and the window drops right in. I can't explain how it works, but if you have a Jeep manual, it shows how it works.

G
#6 ·
When I ordered it they said it would have to be, I thought she said bottom sealed.
Look at the picture, the seal looks just like the old one but what would be the inside of the cab view it is open. Does this look like an OEM top?

Attachments

#10 ·
Well, I can't be sure, I could be wrong. I haven't seen mine since April. It doesn't look right but mostly it's where the arrow points. I have an OEM rear hatch frame in the basement, it measures 37" (make that 47" sorry) at the bottom. Yours looks narrower.

Attachments

#15 ·
Taz, I don't know for sure either. I do know there was a change in the way tops were made, but I don't know when it took place. The tops originally were one piece and the later ones had the back section "molded" in to them. You can tell the later ones by the groove that runs from side to side a few inches from the back edge.

BMB

#16 ·
I think it might have followed the axle/body change in 82. My 79 has the hard top without the groove. I'll take a couple shots of it in a little while.

G
#17 ·
I thought I would check back, and I'm glad I did. What I decided to do is to cut the seal probably by a lower corner (leaks!) and put it on the glass and then use the string trick and put it in the hardtop. When it is in I have to seal the inside anyway so I will also seal up where I cut it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.