Off Roading Forums banner

2" trak on 96 polaris

2K views 3 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
2\" trak on 96 polaris

I would like to put a 2" track on my 96 polaris. Has any body done that and if so did you use 7 tooth or 8 tooth drivers and what are the pros and cons between the two.
Has any body rolled a chain case on a 96 before and if you did was their a kit and how hard was it to do.

G
#2 ·
Re: 2\" trak on 96 polaris

I put a 1-3/4 on my '97 sks 500 last year. Used the stock 9 tooth drivers. Everyone told me I'd need to change to 8 tooth. It was a tight fit. I had to take the chaincase off, that gave me alittle extra room to put the drive shaft back in. It is a huge improvement over the stock 1 inch track in the powder.
You will probably need to change drivers with a 2 inch track. Take it apart first and see what kind of room you have, then buy new drivers if you need to. If you havent bought your track yet go for a 1-3/4. Most people say its better in the powder anyway and it will give you alittle extra room when installing it.

G
#3 ·

Howdy!

I am in the process of doing this now. I've got a 96 Ultra that had a 133 x 1.5 stock. Last year I went to the 136 x 1.75 and it fit fine
with the 9-tooth drivers.

This year, I installed the 141 x 2 Challenger track. Yes, it will fit with the 8 tooth drivers. However, I also added a custom tunnel cooler
that runs the entire length of the tunnel and, unfortunately, the track lugs just touch the very front of the cooler and I can't live with it.
So, I'm taking the 8 tooth shaft out and rolling the chaincase. It should have all fit but it didn't. Lesson learned. Anyway, my dealer
found that I could buy a whole new driveshaft with two 8-tooth drivers for a $100.00. I also wanted the speedo to be accurate so they
sold me a speedo drive that was ratioed for 8-tooth. The point here is that I now want to sell this stuff. It is all brand-new. Yes, it was
installed on the sled but it was never run. I'm willing to sell it all for $120.00 bucks and *I* will pay the shipping. This is basically
what I have invested excluding sales tax. I'd just like to get my money back out of it. I'd rather sell it to someone that needs it
than pay a restocking charge at the dealer if they'd even take them back. I doubt they will since they've been installed.

One caveat however. Check your front suspension mount brackets for an upper mounting hole. If you have one, drill it out and move
the front mount to the new hole. This will maintain a better approach angle for the track. 8-tooth drivers will increase you're approach
angel due to the smaller diameter. If you don't have an extra hole, buy one from a 96 Ultra RMK to use as a drilling template.

Dan

G
#4 ·

Roll the chaincase, 8 tooth takes alot of power to turn track over that short radius,rolling the case can be done with out a kit and in about a week of evening shop time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.