Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - 3/4 elliptic/buggy spring - CJ ???s
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
AllLockedUp

3/4 elliptic/buggy spring - CJ ???s

I've done some searching on this board and on the web, but have come across a mixed bag of answers regarding the functionality of 3/4 elliptic suspensions.

My CJ is mainly a trail rig, but does see part time street use in nice weather. I currently run 4" Trailmaster springs SUA, with extended shackles on locked D44s front and rear. The springs have been outboarded with the M.O.R.E kit.

I have the fabrication skills and tools needed to do the job right but my question is about streetablility and wheel hop/axle wrap both on and off road. I haven't committed to the mods yet, and wanted to get some more input as to whether or not it's worth it. I don't plan on going SOA because of the Scout D44 front and the fact that you've got to remove an extensive amount of material from the cast in perch on the housing.

1.) Is a wrap control system necessary to control spring wrap offroad? If so, I was thinking of a triangulated three link rear setup.

2.) What are the repercussions of keeping my extended shackles in the rear (leaving the front) if I decide not to put a buggy leaf front? I guess the question is - how much lift will the 3/4 setup give me if I use say, a main leaf from a stock CJ pack? I have stock CJ shackles and leafs to use.

3.) Since I do drive the Jeep on the road (it's not trailered unless it's broken [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), should I look at a way to keep the upper springs connected to the frame (a u-bolt would work I would think) to prevent the spring from unloading during braking?

4.) Is running a buggy spring in the front worthwhile in order to gain more suspension travel offroad, or is it a waste of time? I don't know of a way to run a shackle reversal because of how the M.O.R.E kit is designed. Is this a necessary mod, or just helpful?

5.) And finally, is a 3/4 elliptic setup in the rear worth it? I'd like to hear opinions from people who have run this setup, good or bad. Reasons why and steps you took to eliminate the problems are most helpful at this stage.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome