Off Roading Forums banner

Electrical Schematic

1K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  muddybronco 
G
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a place online where I can get a free drawing of my electrical system?

G
#5 ·
Speaking of Wiring Diagrams...

For an 83 (GMC/Chev) that HAS Power Door Locks and Power Windows, the wire harness that goes to the door, comes in two bundles, both that go up to two of those PITA (to get apart) black connectors, that are roughly right behind the four smaller guages on the left of the dash. What I need to know, is if a truck that doesn't have Power Windows and Locks still has those two connectors behind the guages, just nothing connected to them? I can get complete doors that have PDL & PW in them, and the wiring harness that starts in the doors, then goes up through the door frame and up behind the dash, but I need to know if I have the other half of the harness on my truck. Anybody recently tear apart their dash and go behind the guages and see a couple of 4 & 6 wire connectors back there with nothing on 'em?

#8 ·
Well while you're digging up schematics, willys, I need a diagram of the complete ABS system on a 1992 chevy 2500 (8600#gwvr version)... Including how it interfaces to the computer and a bit of an explanation of the little computer in that box if possible...
For an interesting and hopefully very worth-while project...

#9 ·
#10 ·
Thank you *very* much Major Payne... That is the exact info I need in order to set my ABS up on an on/off switch type deal, of course it'll be properly tested first in a vacant parking lot and deserted back road(s) to test whether the system works like that and to find out if it'll do anything wacky. I don't forsee anything bad occurring... Although unlike gigawho, I'll thouroughly test out my work before I end up taking to the roads with it...

I definitely prefer no ABS for winter driving and some other situations... I'll keep peoples posted as to what occurs with this project and whether the computer becomes unhappy when I do my (easily reversable) modification(s)...

#11 ·
What are you going to switch? The power to the module? The signal leads from the wheel sensors? At least you will have a ABS light on the dash to remind you to turn the switch back on

I was going through the diagram for my truck and found the wire that goes from the module in the engine compartment to the indicator on the dash, I'm going to snip it

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#12 ·
Since I want my speedometer and odometer to continue working the wire I'll put the relay and switch in will be the spd sig to rwal wire... The one that actuates the solenoids... I'll have to make a little instruction placard and install it on the dash next to switch instructing people not to flip switch while moving, etc, as I imagine it might have the potential to spaz out and do weird crap... Not likely but never hurts to be safe...

Basically goal is to kill abs selectively and in such a manner that speedometer keeps working and without any annoying lamp...
I imagine it'd not light a lamp anyhow... Will be interesting to find out... I figure I might need some sort of resistor to dissipate electricity that the computer puts out to try to control sensors when abs is set to "off" position...

#14 ·
Not in my experience... In my experience, unplug ABS computer, speedometer/odometer no workee... Plug back in, they magically work again...

If I just switch it at the output to the solenoids on the brake lines I think it'll avoid that crap...

In fact if you look closely at that schematic, the top thing on the computer connector is speedometer output, like from the computer there to speedometer...
Wacky stuff...

#19 ·
Thats the smallest I could go where the text was still easily readable. If I go smaller it will get harder and harder to read. But if you want to, just open the files up in photoshop or something and change the size so the width is about 8", that will fit on normal paper, but I doubt you will be able to read it that small.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#22 ·
where are the sensors for the rear axle installed? my truck just has a single sensor for the rear and one at each wheel up front, and like sandman said if you disconnect the abs module the speedo and elect tranny dont work. if you put a dpst switch on the front sensors you should be able to make the computer turn itself off... that's essentially what i did (just ripped all the front sensor crap out completely). you would probably have to turn the truck off and possibly cut power to the abs computer before you could get it to turn back on though... not sure on that at all. i love having it gone for the mud but sometimes it'd be nice to have in the rain since my crappy drums never work... oh well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.