Off Roading Forums banner

Winch Mount

383 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AkDale 
G
#1 ·
I am doing a bone stock for my daughter. (daily driver) I'm qadding on a bunch of dealer options. I have the bush guard but need pics and advise as how the dealers mounted the winch, had to be some hind of plate. Can anybody help?

#2 ·
I am unshure of the items you mentioned but I would however sugest that (not knowing her age) a good set of bumpers (the stock ones are only about good for holding the turn signals, some one told me each one is less than 10 lbs) and a rear cage hoop (if she is going to have passengers in there ) are invaluable samurais are not tippy as many believe but I believe most would recomend a rear cage if passengers are going to be carried back there

#3 ·
You will need to replace the bumper with an aftermarket one to put a winch on there. Wheeler's (www.wheelersoffroad.com) makes a really nice strong winch bumper but it's about $400+ (this is the one I have).

If you are going to put a winch on there, go with something that uses more than just the 4 bolt holes on the end of the frame (the factory eye hooks mount there stock). The frame is pretty thin and a winch pull has the ability to rip those holes out (not sure if anyone HAS done this, but it is a posibility).

If you can't replace the bumper/brush guard, then you might be able to have a plate added to the guard depending on how well it attaches.

#4 ·
I bought mine as a total it had the stock bumper at the time sort of it was there at the time of the wreck but as mentioned the steel is thin and it did rip out thru the end of the frame pulled the bolts right thru the steel mine now has 3/16 plate added to the frame in that area it is welded to the frame and the crossmember it has held up to a 8000 lb winch pulling on it so far but i plan to build it stronger yet
i believe the winch mount he has seen is a factory piece and is like i 2000 lb winch wich will work if you are only needing a little bump to get yourself out I have a 1500 and have used it 2 times so far got crossed up in rutts in a mud pit just needed a little tention to get me going but without the wheel traction it would be useless

#5 ·
snip
The frame is pretty thin and a winch pull has the ability to rip those holes out (not sure if anyone HAS done this,
yup, it is not only a posibility, but a reality. been there done it already. just another agrivation to fix. even as a street driver, a QUALITY set of nerf/rocker bars is a nice idea too if ya ever get T-boned since the majority of vehicles out there is still shorter than a stocker zuk.
BiLLy bOb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.