Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - CJ-multiple carb related problems?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 08:13 AM
trailisman

Re: CJ-multiple carb related problems?

I have never been good or expert w/carburetion and ignition... My Grandfather could adj & set by ear... almost like an artist tuning in his guitar amp. Me... mostly I follow manuals and tips and my nose to get it close but rarely get it "right". Should have spent more time there and less time ...but that is another story.
I'll take a stab at this one with some basic...

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Is the choke not working?

<hr></blockquote>

here is one you can answer by having a look w/air cleaner removed. When engine cold - is choke plate (at top of carb) closed? ...fully closed? When engine warmed - is choke plate open? ...fully open? Inspect the choke linkages to be sure full movement is allowed. I seem to remember that the fast idle cam should move out of the way when choke fully opens. If yours does not... Is an obstruction that keeps choke from opening or keeps fast idle cam from moving?
Inspect the electric choke for operation ...the vac choke pull off ...all linkages ...etc

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My timing is set to about 12 deg.

<hr></blockquote>

Isn't 8-10 deg BTDC spec for a 258?? Set that w/vac advance disconnected, right? With vac adv attached to ported... timing will be way advanced when clutching/shifting.

I don't think any special settings or changes are needed for CJ with both Nutter Bypass and TR Upgrade - but I do not know this so you might want to read the instructions for both and be sure.

also check this out for some specific information about the CJ Carter BBD - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/main.htm>http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/main.htm</a>

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome