Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - cutting tools? plasma cutter or cutting torch?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 12:24 PM
Bald_One

Re: cutting tools? plasma cutter or cutting torch?

I agree that the torch is going to be much more cost effective (read versitile) than a plasma cutter. I have a MAC 110V plasma cutter and the shop has a oxy torch set-up. The plasma cutter works awesome (neat, clean and straight) up to about 3/16 or 1/4 inch, Beyond that, it's slow and gloppy. The torch is much more useful from about 3/16" up. If I were going to buy one before/instead of the other, I would definately buy a GOOD torch kit. It can be used for welding, brazing, heating, etc. when you aren't cutting with it. A truly invaluable tool. If $$$ is unlimited, definately get both, you'll love the job the plasma cutter does on fender-wells, and such. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

As far as price goes, a good quality torch kit (minus tanks) should be under $300 (you can rent tanks from your local welding supply shop), where a decent plasma cutter can easily run you close to $1k.

HTH let me know if you have any more questions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome