Off Roading Forums banner

Diesel engine and Mud

1K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have always heard that diesel engine don't perform good on mud...
any comment's ???

Rui Alberto Sá Freitas
Livramento de Cima
9125 Caniço

Ilha da Madeira
PORTUGAL

G
#2 ·
I don't see how this could be true. Look around at lessor developed nations throughout South America where the roads are ruled by mud and all you will find is diesel. Get into rural areas and I understand it can be difficult to find gasoline.

Being that diesels do not have ignition systems and EFI/carb sensors, I would also say they would perform much better in wet and slimy environments.

All in all, whomever said that really did not have a clue of what they were talking about.

http://www.rocky-road.com

G
#3 ·
They say diesel performs worse because it is less rotative and it takes more time to answer. And to tell the truth I have gone truth mud with my Sj410 and it's 40hp better than the new Samurai 1.9TD with 65hp and much more top speed than mine..... This is why I am thinking of not going for diesel when I do my engine sawp...

Rui Alberto Sá Freitas
Livramento de Cima
9125 Caniço

Ilha da Madeira
PORTUGAL

G
#5 ·
I can chirp tires with my turbo diesel. Throttle response is very much faster than any Suzuki engine I've driven.

Coming from someone who's run various types of Suzuki engines and now a TD, the TD would kick butt all over gas engines in any on or offroad situation I've come across. If you want to spin tires, I guarantee my TD will do it as good or better than any Zuk engine out there outside a built to the hilt 16 valve. The diesel would also be WAY better for mud than that Swift engine you were checking out.

When it comes to engines.... been there, done that. Don't need the heresay.

#6 ·
I agree with all that was said above, but would add the weight argument, that would slightly favor gas-engines (just on con- argument among many pro-argument)

TimJ, the cameltrophy was down here in chile last year, and they did it with the freelanders (some fancy SUV, that looks like a toyota RAV 4) - big disappointment... marketing rules ;o(

bye all
Alfred

ps: the most popular jeeps here in chile are: samis, sidekicks, Daihatsu Feroza, Daihatsu Rocky D and TLC D ...

anyone in for fotos from chile?

http://4wd.cl/fot.htm/

http://www.cometierra.cl/ click on fotos and then atacama.... there you will see what happens to a Mitsubishi Montero (Pajero) w/ a poor body-lift ;o)

G
#7 ·
The TD does weigh more. it might not be as much as you think though. We figured that my 1.9TD was about 60 lbs heavier than a standard Zuk engine. Still use the Zuk tranny so that's about it. You'd think it was more, but without all the carb and all the junk that has to bolt up to it for smog purposes, the big 1.9TD only comes in at 60lbs heavier.

I forfeit the point though.... it is heavier which could be a drawback in bottomless goo.

G
#8 ·
Diesel engines require a much higher compression ratio than a gasoline engine. This makes them heavy. The long stroke needed for the high compression limits RPM making a given size engine develop less horse power. Diesel engines loose more horse power with altitude. Modern high speed turbo charged diesels reduce these problems. I can't help wondering how much more HP a 1.9 L turbo charged fuel injected gasoline engine would develop. Peaky high RPM power is not needed for most off road driving. Diesel fuel has more BTU per gallon equals higher miles per gallon.

EPA is driving up fuel prices.

G
#10 ·
Glenn,

You say you have a TD (which is from which car exactly) and you are running it under a turbo type situation with the stock SJ410 or 413 tranny? I currently have an old '74 BJ40 3ltr twin trubo landcruiser that absolutely kicks arse.

I'd be quite interested in putting a diesel engine in my '85 SJ413 sammy as I personally feel they are a better engine. Also how complicated is the adaptor plate between the diesel engine and SJ tranny? I may be able to get a friend to fabricate it for me.

personal experience.........>
A small while ago I was in the Jimna State Forest (here in Aus) at a place called landcruiser park(a popular off road park). I had both my landcruiser and sammy there to see which was better under different circumstances. In the "mud run" (competition) I ran my landcruiser on a set up 30x10.5x15 BFG AT's then I ran my stock sammy through the same course with the same tyre but at 225x75 r15. The diesel engine seemed to hold up better as the dizzy didn't get wet as it did in my sammy (in turn the sammy stopped dead).

I then did telecom hill (a relatively basic hill climb), both cars in 4x4 low and 1st gear the landcruiser literally crawled away from the sammy. The sammy lacked the bottom end torque that the diesel seemed to produce. I had to feather the clutch and over rev the sammy to keep it climbing up the hill.

One thing that has pissed me off with a petrol 4x4 is that at every creek crossing you have make sure all of your electricals are out of the water, the dizzy is 100% water-proofed (as if it can be done 100%). Where as with the diesel you can just fang on through the creek and not worry about too much.

GIVE ME A DIESEL ANY DAY. I also entered both cars in a burn out comp last weekend and the diesel was able to perform 4x4 donuts and put on an awesome smoke show where the sammy was barely able to get the rear spinning (then the laterals whent in the diff). Both were running bald cheese cutter tyres (really skinny ones).

'85 SuziSkip
1.6 22R off it's rocker
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"

#11 ·
The U.S. military uses diesel engines exclusively. I have beat the holy hell out of most of them, and I'm here to tell you, you'll break drivetrain components before you break or bog down the engine. A diesel is a low end torque monster. If you had to use first with a gas engine to spin the wheels, then shift into second or third with a diesel, and spin them faster! I'm a diesel mechanic by proffession, so I am definitely Pro-Diesel!

-Shawn-

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!

G
#12 ·
Done this test last weekend
Me
Suzuki Sj410 970cc forty few hp, 235 75 R15 Tires, 4.16 Glenn Gears

My Friend

Suzuki 1.9TD 65HP, 205 70 R15 Tires (it's stock zook with one month old)

First Test

we made a Start on straight Road I went ahead for the first meters

Second Test

Hill climb with short space to take speed, I Climb it and he didn't...

My conclusion

On the first metters diesel engines don't give the quick answer sometimes needed

My Friend's Conclusion

I just don't regret having sold my Sj413 with 11 years old because with my new diesel Sammy I only waste 1/4 of what I used to on fuel.

Were he used to climb on third now he has to climb on second.

P.s. The new sammy has got the same gears on T-case, axles and gearbox

Rui Alberto Sá Freitas
Livramento de Cima
9125 Caniço

Ilha da Madeira
PORTUGAL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.