Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - 2.5L power improvement
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2.5L power improvement

I have a 93YJ 2.5L and have noticed fairly noticable power increases in the 2000-3000rpm range by making the following modifications. Instead of the Turbocity rocket tube, I bought Rusty's Off-Roads version--a lot cheaper (www.rustysoffroad.com). Order the larger K&N to go with it. This gives your engine more air than it could ever hope to use. I also got the TFX cat-back system from Quadratec (great service from them!). This system is very solid (the muffler is as thick as most skid plates!) and sounds great, but is not obnoxious. These two items provided a true increase in usable power and for a total cost of about $220 are a bargain if you ask me. Because of the extra power (or me just pushing it harder) my jeep was starting to run a bit hot, especially on inclines, so I looked into Turbocity's ported thermostat housing--no luck, it is only made for the 4.0. I did by the high flow 160 deg. thermostat and took a Dremel to the housing to improve flow through it. It is fairly obvious where it is restricted, but be careful of the thinner areas of the housing walls. Now, even off road my temp gauge is pegged at 160 degrees. Good luck!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome