Off Roading Forums banner

Has anyone added flare sides to a Jeep?

364 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sycho15 
#1 ·
Well I was looking at Leve's YJ flatfender picture and then the a post a little after had designed fenders for the rear. I had the thought about making flare sides on the jeep. Just dont do this to a healthy not rusted out jeep, But you could cut away at the old body like the rock crawlers do and add some trailer squarish fenders to the inside portion of the old inner fenders. So now you would have the tailgate and inner fender wall as a little pickup box. You would eliminate the rear quarter panels from getting destroyed by rocks. You would lessen the weight of the jeep. It probably has been done already. But it seems like it would be kinf of easy to do. Only thing to finagle is the front of the fedner wells where th efront portion of the jeep meets the wells, but you could make it into a kind of cab.

Does anyone have pics of this little conversion if it has been done?

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

#3 ·
It would be easy to make them detachable. I had an m416 trailer and the fenders were bolted onto the sides. that would be a great idea to take them off you you really didnt want to mash the fenders into rocks. I am trying to picture how big they would be. I know the Northen has fenders already made, but they are smaller trailer types. I wonder if they are made any bigger. They reasonably cheap t opurchase, so it may be more costeffective to buy them then take the time to bent sheet metal and tack weld them together. Given if you are blessed to have a metal brake and all the good cool shop tools, then heck.. Party ON!!

You could mount the tail lights on the bumper if you hack off the rear corners.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

#4 ·
"You could mount the tail lights on the bumper if you hack off the rear corners." -Dan Stew

I've been thinking about this for at least a year now, and am planning on doing this before I lift the Jeep (except I plan to mount recessed round tail-lights into the tailgate). Currently I'm fixing up the Comanche to make it more saleable so I can buy the tools required to do this.
I was thinking more along the lines of making a "frame" out of angle-iron to which the sheetmetal could be welded. Once the frame was together it should be easy enough to take measurements and cut the sheetmetal to shape. Then weld it onto the top piece of the frame from underneath, and bend down the sides. Weld them to the frame from underneath, and then to the seams where the sides and the tub join, and where both sides come together...

Required tools would be a chop-saw, a welder, a dremel, big tin-snips, rubber mallet, some long clamps and a couple 2x4s... I'm still working on what to do for the front, I've got something more elaborate planned there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.