Off Roading Forums banner

Fuel Problems with Vortec

563 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
About two weeks ago, I gave my truck a complete tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and a new control module) and It ran better than ever. Now here's my problem. Just the other day, i noticed that I needed to get some gas because i was at an 1/8th of a tank, so i figured I'd get it in the morning. I went to start it and it would not start. So I figured maybe since my tank got low, the filter got all plugged up. So I changed the fuel filter just about an hour ago and it did need changed. But it still doesn't want to start. The only way it starts is if I shoot a couple sprays of starting fluid in it, then it fires right up. Do you guys think it could be my Fuel Pump not pumping the right pressure (According to the computer at AutoZone, my 4.3 CPI should have between 54-64 psi of pressure, and the 4.3 TBI should have only about 22 psi)? Or would it be my Injecters going bad? Im confused because it all started right when the fuel tank got a little low. And im more confused because once it fires up with the starting fluid, it runs fine. Please help me out with any kind of info. Thanks

eDgE

G
#3 ·
I am having weird problems like that with my 4.3. It starts hard but then runs fine after it is started. I have checked everything and am down to the fuel injectors but they are $300. I would hate to guess and replace something that does'nt need to be. I thought of having them cleaned. I have used some of that dump in your tank fuel injector cleaner with no change. Let me know what you come up with.

G
#7 ·
well today I re-replaced my O2 sensor and so far so good. Time will tell. Here is what I think may have happened, My engine developed a knock that I could not here when all of this started and the computer was trying to adjust the timing for it. I replaced the O2 sensor thinking it was that and the computer still tried to adjust fuel mixture and timing to fix the knock. As the knock worsened I realised the motor had a lower end knock and I pulled the motor and found a spun rod bearing. I replaced the motor with a fresh long block and had the hard start problem still. The old engine had damaged my new O2 sensor with to rich of fuel. I replaced my O2 sensor and all seems well. 4X4Edge, check your engine for a knock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.