Off Roading Forums banner

o/t 360 mopar question please help

422 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  soggysod 
#1 ·
hey guys i posted this on the dodge board but i have yet to find a question someone on this board cant answer, so please help me if you can. oh and if you hate O/T questions please dont read or respond to this one!! I have a 96 ram 2500, 5.9 gas, with about 100k miles, now i have been noticing some oil consumtion more so than normal, the truck seems to have plenty of power towing out 8500 lb trailer, i havent really noticed any loss. but the real problem occours in 2 situations, when it sits and idles for like 15 minutes or so long enought to load horses or say a tractor, then when i go to take off it smokes alot, like not a wiff but like the rings are gone, smoke everywhere, but then i can throw it in neutral, rev it a few times til it clears up and then it is fine, now i seriously doubt that oil pressure is dropping since it has never at stop lights or anyother time it idles, also when ever i am going down a mountain and i have geared down to stay off the brakes, after like 5 minutes it will smoke awefully, until i use the brakes or gass it and go on. i would think this is the valve seals but i have never replaced them on a mopar so i wonder if it is the same proceedure as a chevy or ford. also does this sound consistent, i have true duals with no cats, and it is considerably more noticeable on the right 4 cyls, so bad it will soot up the front of the horse trailer when it does it. thanks soggysod

#4 ·
Jim Lou sounds right, valve seals are the culprit. They can be changed on the motor by running each cyl to TDC compression and filling the cylinder with compressed air (to keep the valves shut) and using a small spring compressor to remove the retainers then pop off the old seals and pop on new ones. It is a tedious process, but fairly easy.

#5 ·
In case you don't want to use compressed air... here's how I do it painlessly:

1. Buy some soft 1/8" cotton rope.
2. Remove the spark plugs.
3. On Cylinder Number one find the start of the compression stroke.
4. Hand roatate CW the engine untill the pistion is about 3/4 the way up the cylinder.
5. Insert the rope into the cylinder's spark plug hole.
6. Stuff the rope in till you've got as much in as you can.
7. Gently hand rotate the engine CW until the piston has compressed the rope all the way against the valve faces.
8. Now the piston is holding the valves in place, cushioned by the rope.
9. Remove the springs and repalce the seals.
10. Gently hand rotate the engine in CCW so you can remove the rope.
11. Remove the rope.
12. Repeat steps 4 - 11 for the other 7 cylinders.

#6 ·
oooh thanks for the tips i actually have the air chuck connections i did a 350 fairly recently, but the rope trick sounds easier, i mainly just wanted to see if the 360 would be the same proceedure, or if it was harder and see if anyone thought it might be anything else.
soggysod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.