Off Roading Forums banner

buying 2nd Sammy What year is best?

836 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  CSR 
#1 ·
I am looking for another Sammy (already have a 87) I drive the 87 primarily off road or too and from the trails
I am gonna buy another one and will drive it daily but will off road it also. What is the difference is say a 87
and a 92 , 93 or 94 model. I think the later models have FI but is there any other differences. Does the Fi
work nicely off road? Thanks for your help guys. If any of you have a real nice Sammy for sale in the Ky area
email me at markmartinbirdie@yahoo.com

G
#2 ·
They converted to fuel injection about halfway through 1989 or so. The F.I. engines were also improved over the earlier ones with better balance & will last longer. Other than cosmetic changes, the most noteable other difference between the Samurai's is the 5th gear-- the pre 1988 models' 5th is more desireable (~500 rpms lower)if you have low gears. Ideal: get the fuelie Sam, and if you wind up gearing really low you can swap in an earlier model tranny.

TJ

G
#3 ·
Ive never been able to say that one year is better than the other. Some differences that I know of in the later models(91+) is that they have FI, the interior is different than the 86, 87s and the first half of 88. In 93 they added the new S grill and at some point they put metal fender flares on instead of plastic ones. Thats about all that I know of.
As for the off-roading capablities of FI, its way better than a Carb!!

SRN
'86 Samurai
Its a Samurai thing. Dont ask!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.