Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Power Steering Conversion for 74 CJ5
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Jeff

Re: Power Steering Conversion for 74 CJ5

Muddynut, I done this swap on my 75 CJ5 about 11 or 12 years ago so bear with me, I`m working from memory. You`ll need a mid 70s to early 80s GM steering gear. I prefer the gears off the larger models, Impala, Cutlass, Riviera. I tried a Camaro box and didn`t like it when on the street, the ratio was too quick for my taste. Get one that has "76" stamped on it. I`ve been told these are the better, more heavily gusseted steering gears.
Get the pump, bracket and hoses if possible. I modified the GM pump bracket to fit on my 304. Get a steering gear and pump that uses flare type hose fittings. I bought a new CJ pressure hose from NAPA and used on mine. It has the pre bent ends on it. NAPA also sells return line hose that you can clamp to your old fittings. I used 2 clamps on each end and it`s not leaked so far.
You`ll need a CJ power steering pitman arm because the tierod hole in the GM arm is too big for the CJ tierod end.
You will also probably need a crankshaft pulley that will let you run 2 fan belts. Mine already had the 2 belt pulley on it.
Hope this helps.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome