Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - AZ emmisions
Thread: AZ emmisions
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 04:52 PM
AZScrambled
Stranger

Re: AZ emmisions

With regards to AZ emissions, the engine you put into your Jeep must be of the same year as the Jeep or newer. Either way you would then have to go through an inspection at the main emissions station :
ADEQ Vehicle Emissions
600 N. 40th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85008
(602) 207-7000
Fax: (602) 207-7020

These folks will test your engine conversion to make sure it is in compliance with emission standards. When I put a 4.0 Liter 1996 engine in a 1981 CJ-8 I had to take it in to have the inspection done since that engine did not come with that year vehicle. The regular emission stations can't test vehicles with engine conversions since they have to certify that all the emission devices used in your vehicle year are installed and functioning correctly. In my case the 4.0 Liter engine did not require alot of the emission devices used in 1981 so they couldn't pass the vehicle and I couldn't get my plates renewed. Once I got the inspection they passed the vehicle and I got my plates.
One more thing you might want to keep in mind -- Currently the AZ State Legislature is debating House Bill 2045 which would exempt all vehicles 20 years or older from the emissions program !!!! Keep your fingers crossed, hopefully it will pass this session. Since your CJ is a 1983 model that would make it exempt from emissions starting in 2003 - then you could put a jet engine from a 1952 MIG in there for all they care !!!!!
Jerry

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome