Off Roading Forums banner

off set and back space.....

750 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Toolmaster 
G
#1 ·
Geez..... I get different explanation from 5 shops that sells rims about backspace and offset.

They claim that if the spcification of the rim is in "offset", you cannot compare it like a rim that is spcified in backspace.

So... if I were to get a 15" x 7.5" rim with 0.0 mm or -5.0 mm offset........ what would be the backspace?

People here are so into offset measument that they cannot explain in backsapce measurement..... probably what they need is to really offset their mind!

Explanations please....

Thanks

#3 ·
Tim, you rule! That's the coolest chart of wheel dimensions that I've ever seen.

JKing, you want dimension "D" (backspace) to be as low as possible (2 or 2.5 inches) OR you want a wheel with as much negative offset as you can possibly get. HTH

#4 ·
Offset rims are determined by how much in or out the flange is from the centerline of the wheel . So, the actual distance changes with different width wheels . A 15X8 with a 1" neg. offset would have a backspace of 3" . The same offset on a 15X10 would give it a backspace of 4" . So , your 15X7.5 with -5mm offset would be roughly 3 5/8" backspace . Think I've got that right , it does get very confusing . Best way to measure them to be sure of clearance for brakes, springs , ect is use "baskspace" measurements , which is done from the inside lip of the wheel , to the inside of the mounting flange.
Sarge

#5 ·
what they are doing for the 2.5 or 2 inch back space on rims is fliping the center so now the long side where the diagram is showing as D is now the front and the E part is now the back...
it is called reverse something... anyway, when they put the tires on, they need to have the rim the flipped the opposite way that they normally put the tire on...

anyway, here is the picture of what I am talking about.

all I did is flip the inside part to show what they do for the 2.5 or 2.0 backspace.. now it is measured from the right side of the picture...

when you talk to the rim people ask them if they will turn the center part around and weld it up that way.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.