Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Electrical Decay? TeamRush? Anyone hear of this?
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 08:33 AM
Jim_Lou
Moderator
 
Jim_Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Belleville, Illinois
Posts: 11,502
Thanks: 15
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
         
Re: Electrical Decay? TeamRush? Anyone hear of this?

One more tidbit on the subject. Arron mentioned "RTV in a pinch." You might think that RTV would be perfect because it sticks well and is darn sure air tight. The problem with common RTVs is that they produce acetic acid as they cure, hence the vinegar smell. Acid of any kind is the last thing you want around wiring.

Dow Corning makes an RTV, product number 737, which is neutral cure and non-corrosive. Under the direction of an electrical engineer who worked on the Gemini capsules, I have used it without problems on 14 kilovolt power supplies and sensitive printed circuits. It is terrific but expensive; the last 3 ounce tube I bought was about $10 if memory serves, and it may not. You have to get it at an electronics supply house.
Jim_Lou is offline  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome