Off Roading Forums banner

350 motor swap into a 89 dodge dakota

15K views 7 replies 1 participant last post by  Joethegoalie 
G
#1 ·
First off can it be done? Right now the dakota has a tierd V-6 3.7 liter motor. And I have a chevy 350 small block motor laying around that works better than the V-6.
I dont know much about dodges so any tips would be helpfull. Thanks

G
#2 ·
Any way you look at it...its going to be a tremendous hassle. NO WAY is a 350 going to bolt right in. If you really want a v-8...check the bolt patterns and trans inputs...starting in 93, the dakota was available with the 5.2L 318. I had one, it was a club cab 4x4 with 3.55s...and it was FAST! I would imagine that if a 318 will fit...then a 360 should too...Keep it simple, Keep it RIGHT, Keep it Mopar! Any v-8 is going to be a huge project....but I'm sure sticiking with the chrysler stuff might cost more, but it'd be easier to do.

remy

G
#4 ·
i thought about swapping a v8 into an early dakota when i had one. from what i could tell, when they added the factory option of the v8, they lengthened the engine compartment some. It was going to be a tight fit with a v8 in an early model.

i did put a 340 in a d-50 though. it is strickly for racing though.

G
#5 ·
If I were you, Id go with the Mopar V-8. A 318 or a 360 Magnum would be perfect. since these trucks came with 318's it would be easier than trying to weld up a set of motor mounts for a chevy. I would go to a scrapyard and find a wrecked V-8 Dakota, and salvage the mounting hardware for it.

#8 ·
hey, i saw this thread and just thought i'd say that i am currently in the midst of the same project. it's really not all that difficult given some time and creativity. i was in the same boat. I had a dakota with a dead 2.5 in it and a chevy 350 with a turbo 350 on it, sitting around. the mounts are pretty simple a plate on one side to extend the cradle and some stock and a plate on the other to get around the rack and steering shaft.
I'm only just building my mounts so if you want to know how it turns out I'll keep you posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.