Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Fixing hard top around the hinges
The work you do will depend on how you want the finished job to look. There's enough room to glass in a drilled and threaded 3/16" plate as re-inforcement. That should offer plenty of strength.
Otherwise, then I'd:
1. Take a piece of 3/16" plate the full length of the back of the Hard Top
2. Cut and shaped to fit.
3. Then drill it at the Hinge points and six 1/8" attachment holes around the edges.
4. Weld nuts to the Hard Top Side of the plate.
6. Drill recess holes into the hardtop for the nuts.
7. Mount the plate with the hinge bolts.
8. Align the plate and tighten the bolts.
9. Drill the 1/8" mating holes throught the inside hard top fiberglass layer.
10. Pop rivet the plate in place.
11. Paint the plate to your satisifaction or glass over if you wish.