Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - axle length
Thread: axle length
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
mbalbritton
Keyboard Implanted

axle length

OK, I use to think I knew the answer to this, but I got a question about the AMC20 axles. to give a little history, I have a '78cj5, and my buddy has a '79cj5, both are 304, T-150, D20, AMC20, 3.54 Open diff. He spun a hub right after I bought my One Pieces and locker. So we decided to pull his axle housing out, let me do a bench rebuild with my new components and swap that with mine and give him my old axle still in decent shape. as it turned out I have early '78 brakes, so we swapped that out too which means pulling the axles. I'm all back to together and on the road. He's going back and putting together a make shift axle just to getting him rolling until he swaps out his D44 that are in his plans. Anyway, he found that he know has 4 axles, 2 from his old axle, and 2 from mine. the kicker is two shafts are longer than the other two I'm not talking narrow track vs. widetrac, I'm talking two axles are 2" longer than the other two. the short ones won't work either. He figured it all out as to getting it back together, but has anyone heard of longer and shorter axles in narrow track, from year to year or whatever?

Brent

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome