Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Whew! Went to an auction...wot a trip!
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 01:03 PM
thorjeep
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Whew! Went to an auction...wot a trip!

Dave,
We have completely done our house in antiques, all from auction. Antiques, unlike other auctions, have a emotional quality about them. Since the pieces are something you cannot buy new, and you will never see again. So, if you don't get it there, you can't go to a store and pick it up for a higher price.

That said, make sure you and Jeepchick have more than enough time to preview all items. On the list they give you, mark at least 3 catagories you will use: Very Cheap (Is junk, but usable), Can do without (Price is a big factor) and Want. Make sure you set a ceiling for #2 and #3, beleive me, in the bidding process you and JeepChick can get carried away easily (That is what they want). Your perceptions of value change while on the bidding floor. Don't bid on pieces you haven't seen (Sometimes they hide nice-looking junk) unless it is at a price you are willing to throw away on chance.
I am not a antique expert, I just know what it is worth by it's construction, finish and of course, looks. I use my antiques, not collect them.

All that said [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] it is a lot of fun, and you can get some grat deals especially on rainy or crappy days becouse no one shows up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome