Off Roading Forums banner

How to keep my jeep from being STOLEN

12K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  JesseA 
#1 ·
I'm looking for the best setup to keep my jeep from being ripped off. I guess a hidden fuel pump/ignition cutoff switch is good, but it can be found. Lo-jack isn't available where I live. I'd like a remote operated ignition cutout, but I don't need the alarm part. Is there any other "tracking" alarms that the police can find your vehicle with? I just don't want my $25,000 jeep to dissapear.

G
#2 ·
You're thinking too hard!

You can always take your battery out when you leave it parked...get a couple of the quickconnects from autozone for like $10. Chain your steering wheel to your seatframe. Rig up something wierd...for instance...so that the parking lights have to be on for the starter to work. Be creative, and you'll protect your Jeep for free!!

-Remy

#3 ·
send me an e-mail and I'll e-mail back an anti-theft system design that I have on hard disc.
I'm pretty sure I can find it in my computer stuff and get it sent to you. I've sent it before so it should go. I only send this to "known" Jeep people.

#4 ·
You can have a ignition kill switch and hood lock (These are really nice) in one. I think JCwhitney has them but all I could find is in Quadratec here. They are a barrel lock and a deadbolt that when disengaged, allows ground through a wire (use with a relay) and stops ground when engaged. It is very sturdy and cannot be cut, or torn out. Works with CJs too.

G
#5 ·
I agree. I have seen the ingition kill switched with a hood lock and they are what I am considering.

Basically it is a push button that mounts under the steering column ( I beleive) and it has the sort of cylindrical key found on your typical kryptonite bike/motorcycle cable lock. You push the button and it sets the engine kill switch. No way to turn on the engine. PLUS when you push it, it sets a kryptonite hood lock pin that keeps your hood from being pried open and allowing the thieves to get to the battery/ignition. Plus I think the one I was looking at has the little blinking light for your dash.

Sometimes even just that little light is enough of a deterrent. At least for the casual thief.

#6 ·
I've got a battery disconnect switch to keep my battery from draining after long periods of sitting, but it's not much of a deterrent to a semi-sophisticated thief. I heard some guy saying he was going to install a kill switch wired to his cigarette lighter, so that the engine would only turn when it's pushed in...might baffle some thieves since it's hidden inside a normal accessory.

#10 ·
I don't agree with a few options:

1) take out battery- I'm not carrying that around the mall
2) Battery disconnect, thief will turn it back on
3) Removable wheel- vice grips probably work fine...
4) Starter/ignition kill- a jumper from battery terminal to coil and starter and your jeep is gone

What's left?
1) I like the eye bolt and padlock for the hood
2) Electric fuel pump cutoff if you have one- can't easily jump a wire to that.
3) When I move back to CA, I'll get the lo-jack system

#16 ·
Heh.. leave your dog in the Jeep..

They are the greatest wild card ever.
You never know if it's the one barking its [censored] off thats going to bite your nuts off, or if it's the one sitting there calmly.

Otherwise how about the magnetic switch in the dash, and the magnet in the keychain?

Fuel pump shutoff.

One I thought of was three dial switches. Each dial has 6 switches in it. (sort of like a dimmer switch that clicks to each setting)

you have to get the correct combination of dial settings for the thing to turn the fuel pump on.

I don't know if anyone makes any "switches" like that, but 6X6X6, that's alot of combinations to try and figure out.

You could always use an old-skool car alarm.. hook it up to an air-horn?

G
#17 ·
CJDave - do you remember when we used to use the old wooden coils out of a Ford. The thief would touch the car get the s**t shocked out of them. It has been a long time since I've set one of these deterring devices up but they were effective. I originally had this set up on a '32 Ford three window coupe because the neighbors cat kept climbing on it! It only took once and it found another place to perch!

#18 ·
The Ferd Motor Car Company has made A LOT of contributions to our American Heritage BESIDES the cars they built.
Those early Ferd parts were used for everything from circus tent stakes (axle shafts) to worm shockers ("T" coils). There was just NO END to it. I used the brake rods from the 1937 and earlier Ferds for everything around the shop, and of course a zillion '37 thru '48 Ferds were used for circle track racing back in the "Jalopy" days. Gads....does THAT date me or what? Damn, I'm gettin' old!
There is VERY LITTLE that has not been done; or at least tried; in an effort to hop up the venerable Ferd Flathead engine.
Hot Rodding really got it's start in So, CAl
when they used to run the Ferds on the dry lakes bed. Hence the term: "Lakes Pipes" to describe those exhaust cut-outs that we had sticking out from behind the front tire that went direct to the manifolds, but I'm getting off on a tangent here.
I just e-mailed my custom anti-theft scheme to a couple of "Known" Jeep guys...anyone else want a copy.....just e-mail me.
I just remembered something that you'll get a kick out of......When I wuz in Hi Skool in the fifties, we had a Social Studies teacher who was pretty darn good and who used to get after us when we didn't "perform"; especially once the Russians launched the Sputnik in '57 and we were expected to get out there and get with it academically. In one of her berating sessions, she said, quote: "All you boys ever DO is drive around town in your 'STRIPPED DOWNS'!" THAT TERM was right out of the pre-war hot rod days where you took off the real heavy fenders and running boards to make your car go faster since weight was the enemy of performance. At first we didn't realize what she had said because we were a little too young, but it soon clicked in and we were just amazed at this "blast from the past". It was kind of cool.

#22 ·
Some times the simplest is the best. My grandma simply pulls the coil wire off of her CJ. If I were you I would simply hook up a pump disconnect in an in obvious place like under the seat or tucked up under the dash. How many times has the pencil been sitting right in front of you and you missed it. Don't forget that most robbers are after a quick jump. Once they have to start trying to solve ignigation or fuel pump issues they jet on to an easier one.

#23 ·
-spin-I put a dimmer switch in and use it for the kill switch. Looks like it belongs and who knows-snip-

Anyone with internet access knows,,,, now.

There were some guys around here with a tow truck, stealing cars. Not much you could do but chain your rig to the ground, in your driveway anyway. Dug a big hole and concreted a chain into it.

G
#24 ·
if you put a fuel shut off valve in the system somewhere obsucre, then you can figure, that if anyone stals you Jeep, you only have a few mile radius to look in. that way you can call the cops, and say well its somewhere close.
that and/or make it stick out like a Stacked CJ5 at a Lambroghini dealership. somebody will notice that bright green CJ with Jolly Roger on the hood and a flag for a softop.

Jesse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.