Off Roading Forums banner

OPINIONS: Best way to compensate for 31s?

623 views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Samurai202 
G
#1 ·
Finally got back from the desert and the wife is not only cooperating, but encouraging me to get going on my upgrades for my '87 stock Zuk.

I am planning to put some 31x10.50 15 BFG ATs that I have laying around on it. Already have the parts for my SPOA (4.5 inch RRO), but while the wife is being cooperative, I want to look into regearing or whatever as well.

Looking for opinions that keep in mind that although I have the 'go ahead' to do all my work, I am not rich by any means ;D

OK, enough BS, let 'em rip guys!

SPUDZUKI

G
#2 ·
if she's getting on you about the project, your best bet for all around performance and happiness at home is a 4.16 set of gears. You can pick them up for only $399
http://www.rocky-road.com/zukdrive.html

The 4.16 gears are on the money correction for 30" tires. The 31's are a bit taller, but you'll find that most folks with 31's are running the 4.16 Crawler gears and really enjoy the improvement in performance.

Any question on then or their installation, please feel free to contact us direct.

#9 ·
you will be using 4th gear to the max and a lot of clutch action for 1st gear to get going, other than that,,
no problem..
just sucks in off road 4wd lo.... the lo is not lo anymore...

and you get to use 5th gear on a good down hill application... and nothing else....

#10 ·
Yep even w/ the weber you will never see 5th unless your going down hill. I hope you have a lifetime garuntee on the clutch cause you'll go through them. The x-fer is the cheapest, and if you rock crawl thats the way to go.

#11 ·
I did the 4 to 1 t case gears and even with 27 inch tall tires I would highly recomend them I have a 87 freeway driving is better and offroad is great as well wish I had bought the modified shift forks for 2wd low I can still do it it is just harder to shift there are many reputable dealers who sell these kits and if your bearings are good (usually they are ) you can save some $$$ by buying the kits that come with out them

#12 ·
I'm running 31" BFG AT KOs with stock gears and a RRO 4.16 case. You won't win any drag races but you will be much happier off road. I was able to crawl slow enough for the Rubicon and still drive 150 miles home at 60+ MPH and thats with 138,000 on the ole' 1.3L.

#13 ·
I have 31s with stock gearing (I blew out my front bearing on the 410 T-case). I could hit 75mph easy in my Samy and used 5th all the time. So, although you will see lots of performance lost with bigger tires don't assume that you'll be S.O.L. without the gearing. Samurais have thier different quirks and some will run like mad whereas others will suck...

Personally, I'd do the gear swap anyway as it's cheap and will definately help you out offroad.

BTW, my 1.3 died after about a year of pushing my 31s around. I think it was just tired. I'm not certain it was 31 inch tire related.

#18 ·
33's you will at least need a grs2 or go with the hybrid axle swap and 5.12's. That'll cost you about 650.00 I think? And most peole should be able to install it. It won't give you that ultra low low range but it'll bring you back down close to the stock performance you had with those 215's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.