Off Roading Forums banner

Electrical Problems

349 views 3 replies 0 participants last post by  soundwve 
G
#1 ·
I have recently purchased a 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. The previous owner stated that all the electrical components worked fine until he replaced the engine. Now, the electric seats, the power locks and the tailgate electric window do not work. I have read several of the other entries which discussed window track problems, 30-amp fuses, etc. but do these particular accessories share a particular connector or breaker? Also, how do I get into the rear tailgate to check the condition of the motor, tracks, etc?

G
#2 ·
I will take a guess since I don't know the later jeeps electrical, but those items should have power all the time, so I wonder if a hot lead is loose or disconnected somewhere.
Chris

G
#3 ·
If my book is correct, the power windows, power seats, and power tailgate share a single 30 amp circuit breaker. (After the breaker, the one wire feed splits to three!) To test, replace breaker with a 30 amp fuse. If they work, replace the faulty breaker. (Check ALL the breakers. If one is shot, the others will probably fail soon.) If this doesn't work, check for power where the breaker plugs in. If no power, check under the hood for a wire with bubbled insulation. (It'll be near the battery. Trace the positive cable to the starter relay, and it should be there.) IF all the above checks out, check the switches. All the window and seat power routs through the driver's door window/lock switch panel. Tailgate switch is seperate.

1973 J-4000 pickup "custom"
(built-up EFI 4.0, SM420 4sp, Dana 20 t-case, Dana 44 HD front, Dana 60 rear)

G
#4 ·
By the way, if you have an e-mail address, I'll send a scanned copy of my wiring diagram to you. Also, to access the tailgate components, all you do is remove the "inspection" cover. It'll be under the carpet that is attached to the tailgate.

1973 J-4000 pickup "custom"
(built-up EFI 4.0, SM420 4sp, Dana 20 t-case, Dana 44 HD front, Dana 60 rear)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.