Off Roading Forums banner

Identification Numbers

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Where are the Vehicle identification number on a Samurai? I know where I can find the V.I.N but are there any other numbers that identify the vehicle?

I Like Za Mud! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
In addition to the VIN plate, there is a small plate inside the drivers side by your left foot, on the sidewall, that tells paint color id, and maybe some more info. Engine ID is on the drivers side, side-back of the block, before the tranny, just under the master brake cylinder.
What else is there??

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html

#4 ·
scott it depends on the year....

in 86-87 they put two or one on the dash (depending on the mood of the workers building them)
one vin number on the drivers side by the feet, and one on the passengers side on the frame by the front
wheel...

in 88 they put them only on the dash.... and had a color thing by the drivers feet but no vin number...
in 88.5 they only put them on the dash and nothing anywhere else...
other years I have no clue about......

so why the question in the first place??

Rich_:)D
If you do not expect the unexpected, you will not find it.

#5 ·
I am wondering what happens when owners do engine swaps and body swaps or just total swaps. What happens to the registration? If you do a body swap do you then swap the ID numbers? Do you register the vehicle again with the new numbers?

I Like Za Mud! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

#7 ·
it is illegle to pop the rivits on vin plates....

that is why I believe that suzuki just started putting them on the dash only...

that way all you have to do is swap out the dash for the dash with the title you want... right?

#9 ·
if they really wanted to know, they could.. the pop rivits they use are "special" well that is what they say at least.
I was looking at them and they are different than regular pop rivits...

I am sure that there is a way to be legal about it... otherwise the wrecking/salvage yards would be out of buisness...right?

does anyone here on the board know the legalities about vin plates and titles??
and what are the "rules" or where to get the info on the legalities....

thanks

G
#11 ·
There's also a spot on the frame that has an ID (I'm pretty sure I saw it one time when crawling under there.) There's also supposed to be another ID somewhere that's tamper-proof.

Your best bet is to contact your local BMV. Tell them what you are doing and they can make a determination as to what rules you fall under.

You may need to get a special title or some such thing for an amalgamated vehicle (one vehicle with parts from many).

#12 ·
I'm pretty sure they just check the VIN number on the dash compared to the registration. If it's in question, there may be an investigation to go further, but really.... don't sweat it. Swapping engines usually isn't a big deal either.
With that said, I will deny any involvement in this conversation, this post will self destruct in 5 seconds, .....

BTW, Rich_D... just to throw you a curveball... my 88.5 has both the VIN plate on the dash and the extra plate on driver's side floor/side panel with paint ID - go figure... I think the 88.5's vary with the day of production... The only thing I've seen so far that's consistent is the steering wheel - (3 spokes on pre 88.5, and 4 on the 88.5 and later) - or can someone find one that doesn't fit that profile either???

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html

G
#13 ·
yeah, my 88.5 only had a VIN plate on the dash...however the one on the driver's floor could have fallen off with part of the floor :). Hey, maybe if I do the work for you it would make it legal because you wouldn't know about it????

Duck tape is like the force, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
...yeah it's good on gas, kinda hard on oil though!!!

#14 ·
scott that is why I mentioned "depending on the mood of the employee at the factory that day"
it seems like every samurai I look at has one in a different place...

with mine I am the 2nd owner and the first owner had it only for a few months.... and on mine there is only 2 on the dash.. and none else where....

as far as the color goes. you just tell them at the DMV when you register it that you changed the color of the vehicle...

G
#15 ·
I live in mich and have checked into this if you want to do it the legal way. I was told by the Secretery of state that the Vin goes with the body. You can put different year vehicles togher and take it to them and they will inspect it and give it a new VIN under an "assembled" title.
Do not try and change the vin. YES the rivits are special. They are a roset style and it is a felony even to have them in your possion. They at a glance look normal but if you look close they look like a flower shape.
I would think that if you had the title match the VIN on the dash you might not get caught but do not try and rivit on a new plate.
Just my humble .02

Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.