Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - buying used Jeep - tips?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Joker2002

buying used Jeep - tips?

First off, let me say that I am not currently looking at any Jeeps to buy. However, my dad would like to have a new one before college (August 2002) so I want to know what to look for when it comes time to start. When I bought my current Jeep, I had absolutely no knowledge about them. As far as I was concerned, a Jeep was a Jeep was a Jeep and I bought the first one in good condition I could find. However, after a year of being obsessed with them and working on mine, when I go to buy another one, I will have a much better understanding of what I'm looking for. I know I will be wanting a YJ with a fuel injected I6, so that limits the years to around 92-95 or something like that. Anyways, getting back to the point, I was just wondering if you guys had any tips for "kicking the tires." I want to make sure the Jeep I buy is in good mechanical and electrical condition and will be reliable. Should I just take it to a mechanic before I buy it and have him check it out? What is the best way to be safe?

Blake
93 YJ/33x12.50s/3" Heckethorn suspension/1.25" shackles

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome