Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Which suspension for CJ?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
dschwab9

Which suspension for CJ?

I'm probably about to open up a big can of worms, but I need some advice on suspension systems.
I'm pretty close to doing my axle swap, and considering replacing the suspension at the same time. It's got an unknown lift (PO said 4") that was there when I bought it. All the bushings are worn out, one side has had a leaf added to compensate for sag, the shocks are worn out, it rides like %$#@, has 0 flex, and is just generally in bad shape.
My budget for this project would be about $600. What should I be looking at in this price range? Here are some options I've considered:
Trailmaster 4": $479
Skyjacker w/nitro shocks: $539
Superlift: $529
Rough Country: $389 (without shocks)
Proc Comp is also in my price range, but everyone says it's "Pro Crap" so I haven't considered it.

How do I tell how much lift I actually have now? I've got about 7" between the axle tube and bump stop. I'm running 33's, which fill the fender well nicely, but don't rub.
I know I'm gonna get 30 completely different opinions, but I'd like to know the pros and cons of each system so I don't throw away $600.

Thanks

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome