Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Crown Stainless rant
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
dschwab9

Crown Stainless rant

Just got done installing the stainless hood set that my CJ got for Christmas, and I've just got to vent on this [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
It's from a company called "Crown Automotive"

First, it came with these really strange nuts that have SAE threads, but need a metric socket. Where did they get these things? Rejects from the factory that were supposed to be metric and got drilled and tapped wrong??? Kind of annoying that the socket I took the old ones off with didn't fit the new ones.

The hinges came with allen head bolts that actually look pretty decent, but the bolt head is just slightly bigger than the hole, and it didn't come washers. I'll have to get washers for them.

Finally, the windshield standoff's look like crap. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I think it's just a bent threaded rod dipped in that plasticoat stuff. I ended up keeping the old ones and just putting stailess nuts on the back.

On a positive note, it is nice to have hood latches with good springs, maybe the hood won't bounce arround on the highway now.

I'm about to order windshield and door hinges and mirrors from 4wd hardware, I sure hope they aren't that bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-642175-stainless.jpg (10.4 KB, 0 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome