Off Roading Forums banner

Feelings on 351W here.......

427 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Was in the yard today, looking at 351W engines. Found a FI 351W in an E350 van (my guess is it is a 90 or so?). The engine bay is literally COATED in a 1/4 inch of the blackest oil you have ever seen. The guy said that he would sell me the thing for $100. Is it even worth my energy pulling this thing out? Is it a lost cause? I am planning on looking over the thing and getting underneath it, and search for holes. Was even planning on pouring 4 or 5 quarts of 10/30 in it to see what happens.

Also, the guy has an 85 F250 with a 5.8 4 barrel (HP)? that he claims ran (had a bad trans) and will sell that for 250. Is there any REASON to pick the 85 over the FI engine? Regardless of the oil thing, would one have an inherent benefit? I am looking to run a carb anyway, so the FI itself means nothing to me.

In addition, we found a 77 Tbird with a 2 barrel 351W in it. Same thing. Is there a pro/con to this engine? What would be your choice of engine if you wanted a 351W for rockcrawlin and running under 5K RPM?

Thanks

themaddhatter

Team Fogarty: "I can't talk to you on the phone, man the crapper, smoke, and drink my 40 at the same time. That is why I didn't pick the phone up"

See less See more
#2 ·
If you dont know what the source of all that black oil is(such as leaking valve cover gaskets,cracked or missing PCV grommet,etc) i would stay away from it, since your going carb anyways. It may have a serious blow-by problem due to internal wear.

Theres not a whole lot of difference between the 77 2v and the 85 4v except the intake. Both have lousy flowing heads but since your not looking for high RPMs anyways, dont matter much. I would just try to find the one with the lowest mileage unless you intend to rebuild it anyways.
I would probably go for the 85 with the 4BBL if you dont know the mileages.

G
#3 ·
If you are going to rebuild, buy either immediately! Otherwise, the cleaner one may be better. The one with the4v would be the best shot, but internally they are not much different. I find that if one has been sitting that long, it needs to be redone at least a bit in any case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.