Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Chevy S10 Starting Problems
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 01:09 PM
The_Sandman_454

Re: Chevy S10 Starting Problems

I'll take a stab at it, I suppose... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Be warned I don't remember much about fuel injection, since I don't drive a fuel injected vehicle and it's been a few years since auto shop in High school (I gradutated in '98...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])

If your battery is worn down a bit, it won't give you the cold cranking amps you need to turn the starter and fire enough spark from the coil to get the mix in the cylinders to fire... If you're where it's cold now, your oil will be thicker, and until you get it pumped up into the engine from the pan, it'll take considerably amount more of the battery's total energy, and leave less of that energy to go to the coil. If you have someone you know that has a bigger battery, ask them if you can borrow it one morning, for the first try to start your truck... I got myself one of those Champion 4x4 1000ca (850cca) batteries... It has top posts and side posts... Cranks the engine over perfectly, no matter how cold it is outside (coldest I've tried is around 0*F... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Any battery with a ton of CCA should do just fine... I got mine at Sam's Club, I like that place because they don't look up things in the book for you, so I just walked over to the shelf, found the most powerful battery they had there... Oh, and if you go to somewhere that they ask you what vehicle you have, tell them something like a '70's Caddy with the 500 V8, I believe that's one of the biggest batteries available...

Oh yes, and I forgot that since it is fuel injection, not only do you need the battery to power the starter and fire the coil, but you need it to run the fuel pump...

That might be it or it might not be, but I'd guess it's worth a try... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Also, make sure your battery terminals are clean, and the wires that go to the terminals on the solenoid are clean too, they'll give you trouble if the connections aren't clean... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I guess that's the long winded way of sayin', have the battery tested, or maybe get a bigger one... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome