Off Roading Forums banner

short throw shifters...

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  J.R. 
#1 ·
I've asked this before on the old board and I can't remember getting any real answers from it:
The throw on my stick tranny is WAY too long. The time I have to take going from 1st to 2nd etc. What I would like to know is if someone can tell me where to get a short throw shifter for the mini-trucks. I can't really seem to find one that specifically states it'll fit the S-series standard tranny.

Thanks.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif- J.R. -/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Mr. J.R., Check out Hurst... Hurst Shifters They have a shifter called Competition/Plus for GM trucks... Years it will work on for S-trucks are: 82-94 with 4 cylinder and Borg Warner T4 or T5; 91-94 with V6 and NV3500; 95-97 with V6 and NV3500; and 95-97 with 4 cylinder and NV 1500...

This is the only one I checked... You might want to email Hurst or download a catalog

You might want to check B&M to see if they have something too, but for some reason the first/only place I usually look is Hurst... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

#3 ·
Sandman, thanks. I think I've looked there before but couldn't find anything I wanted because all the years ended at 97 (my poor ignored '98!). I guess I have to find out what tranny I have. Might be the NV3500, but I'm not sure.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif- J.R. -/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

#4 ·
For most of them, they refer to a transmission code of 466... The 466 code is what they used actually on all but the 82-94 series... Not sure if that's what appears in your truck, or what... You might want to send 'em an email and find out if it'll work for your truck or not... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Actually I think that's an older product catalog there... I think the latest listing I saw for anything is 97, so that's probably just an older one... /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Let us know if you do find out...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G
#5 ·
I did not see anything at B&M, HURST had some stuff but I don't rember what.
You might want to e-mail http://www.gearzone.netthey build up custom gearboxs
and might be able to send you in the right direction(I just havn't made time to do it yet)

HAWG WILD
All those who wander are not necessarily lost /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G
#6 ·
*********SHIFTER UPDATE*********
the new JEGS cat has the following 5spd short throw shifters:
HURST
COMPETITON/PLUS for 82-92 $158.99 Pn:530-391-0029
" for 91-94 " Pn:530-391-0110 (NEW VENTURE)
" for 95-97 " Pn:530-391-0111 (NEW VENTURE)

HAWG WILD
ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.