Off Roading Forums banner

Headers....Dual Exhaust

1K views 8 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I'm looking to up grade my exhaust from the block to the tail-pipes... What headers? and dual are you running....my other thought was to buy a set of Mustang 5.0 Shorties, and modify a Stock Mustang 5.0 H pipe...any thoughts? thanks

Dan

G
#2 ·
I am running Hooker Headers (long tubes) and a single 3 inch diameter exhaust through a Dynomax high flow cat and a three chamber flowmaster. Your best bet for performance if you have the 302 is a single 3" exhaust. If you want to run duals, although it will not be an improvement from from the 3" single as far as performance, is a 2.5 or 2.25 diameter. You can use a 3" tailpipe from a Dodge desel pu. I found one left over at my local muffler shop. The exhaust was worth it. If you buy a cat back system, you are paying too much. If you order the pieces seperatly and have it put togather, it will be much cheeper.

my email is chris4421@hotmail.com if you need any additional help.

G
#3 ·
You can go to BBK at http://www.bbk1.com/exhaust.html and see the Shorty Headers and Y-pipe available for your Bronco. Right now I have the Chrome Shorty Headers and 3" Y-pipe with the high flow catalic converter, and the Flowmaster DeltaFlow Series 40 muffler. Then you can order them from www.BROTHERSPERFORMANCE.com. Really good pricing. You can even pick up the FlowMaster muffler from there. Then you may have to have a muffler shop make the dual pipes running from the muffle out the back. In all it cost me only about $770. That was putting the Hearers and Y-pipe on myself and having the muffler shop make the pipes going over the rear axle and out to the sides. I had them run out to the side because going straight out back seems to allow more exhaust to be drafted into the rear window if it is open.

Hope I was able to help.

G
#4 ·
Good thought! And here\'s another reason

Good thinking about not routing the exhaust out the back! Also, routing the exhaust out under the back bumper like what is so popular today, reduces departure angle. If you have the later stock rear bumper, and offroad it, you've no sureley slammed the underside down on some log, or rock before! Imagine if it was your tailpipes that got smashed!

G
#5 ·
Re: Good thought! And here\'s another reason

Good point about rear clearance angle! It's one of the ways you can tell if people really do off-road their truck, or just want to make it look tough on the street.

G
#7 ·
I have a set of stock 5.0 headers off my 89, and the H-pipe...so hacking it up won't cost anything, I was also thinking of running straight pipes, without a muffler...I'm kindda concerned about the back pressure or lack thereof....

G
#8 ·
You really need to run mufflers. There is a new muffler called the Flowmaster Deltaflow. IT actually pulls the exhaust through itself. When the exhaust gasses begin to circulate through the muffler, it creates a vacuum at higher rmp and it flows almost like strait pipes. You need the back pressure at low rpms or you will loose a ton of torque on the bottom end. Also, if the pigs catch you running that, you can get slapped with a $500 fine. I am a Mustang guy too. I gave a 91 lx 5.0 with mods and have tried open exhaust at the drag strip. I am only running about 300 hp and I did not improve my time. It just made the car run and sound like crap.

G
#9 ·
Deltaflow

I too, would recommend the Flowmaster Deltaflow series mufflers. I have the 50 series and it is great. If I was to do it again, I would get the 40 series which is louder. If your not into the rumble of your engine, go for the 50 series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.